Kids’ College – The Virtual Science Lab
Students will need an internet connection with Zoom software, a dedicated space to work in the home, like a kitchen table, and access to a stove or microwave. Additionally, the supply list follows below.
We will do several experiments sure to provide some science experience and fun to share with friends when school starts! These common chemical reaction labs are a great and safe way to see how the natural world works and how to follow the scientific method. These labs can be adapted to use household items and ingredients so they can be replicated over and over again at home or at school – so the science fun never ends!
A class session requires at least 5 students to make and may have a maximum of 15.
Virtual Science Lab will meet on Mondays or Wednesdays at 10:30 a.m., July 6-29
Required Parental Consent
All online courses for children require a submitted consent form for each registered child. Submit a parental permission form for internet use form.
Required Supplies list
- a clear plastic bottle
- 1 pipette
- a small container of vegetable oil
- assorted food coloring pack
- at least three tablets of Alka Seltzer
- three small packs of instant bakers yeast
- a small box of baking soda
- a small container of 6% hydrogen peroxide (store grade)
- four plastic ziplock sandwich bags
- a small funnel
- safety goggles
- dishwashing soap (enough for two labs – medium size bottle)
- white pipe cleaners (small pack)
- fishing line (small)
- 10 small clear plastic cups
- a small container of Borax
- 2 wooden skewers
- 1 large clear container
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon measure
- a small container of rubbing alcohol (91%)
- a small section of cheesecloth or coffee filter
- a small container of salt