PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT CERTIFICATE
Now you can study to become a certified healthcare professional at your own pace and within your schedule. The Dialysis Technician ONLINE program is offered by Texarkana College in conjunction with Health Ed Today with interactive learning modules, 24/7 mentoring, learning exercises, labs, and a student portal with career resources. To learn about this program and to enroll visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College.
The Dialysis Technician Profession
As kidney failure continues to be a growing national health problem, kidney disease is driving the growing demand for well-trained dialysis technicians. Dialysis technicians are employed in hospitals, outpatient clinics, and other medical facilities. The number of dialysis technician jobs has the potential to increase by more than 35% by 2018. While most technician training has historically been done “on-the-job,” today’s healthcare employers are seeking well-trained technicians who possess the necessary knowledge and skills to fill this growing number of positions.
- Tuition: $1,299
Self-paced eLearning course includes six months access, all textbooks, workbooks, and related course material.
- Register: Visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College to enroll.
- Contact: Call 903.823.3384 for more information
The Dialysis Technician Program
This Dialysis Technician Program provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties required of dialysis technicians. This course covers the following key areas and topics:
- Specific procedures to operate kidney dialysis machines
- Preparation of the dialyzer, reprocessing and delivery systems
- Equipment maintenance
- Skills to monitor and record a patient’s vital signs
- The process for a dialysis teams’ administration of local anesthetics and drugs as needed
- Assessment of patients for any complications that occur during a procedure
- Patient training for at-home dialysis treatment and techniques to provide emotional support patients need for self-care
- Dialysis technicians should have or be pursuing a high school diploma or GED.
- This program is designed to cover the key objectives of the leading dialysis technician certification exams. Although some students do immediately pursue certain certifications, most national exams require job experience for formal dialysis technician certification.
Detailed Course Topics Covered
- Knowledge and use of aseptic techniques and standard precautions
- Renal physiology and the pathology of renal failure
- How to perform and record physical measurements including weight and vital signs
- Principles of hemodialysis and hematological aspects
- Dialyzer reuse preparation, dialysate, and delivery systems
- Basic body chemistry including fluid and electrolyte balance
- Clinical manifestations of end-stage renal disease
- Routine aspects of hemodialysis
- Dietary regulation and medication problems relating to dialysis
- Acute renal failure and dialysis
- Kidney transplantation
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Diabetes and hemodialysis
- Pediatric hemodialysis
- End-stage renal disease in the elderly
- Composition of dialysate solution
- Anticoagulation and heparin administration
- Handling of hazardous materials
These programs include access to an online community with interactive content and robust student services.
Each course includes:
- 24/7 instructor support and course mentoring
- Online healthcare content that supplements each course
- Student and instructor collaboration
- Engaging labs, student exercises, course videos and animated simulations
- Student pre and post assessments and online performance tracking
- National and state certification opportunities
- A secure Student Portal which includes: career guidance, resume writing and other career resources
- Certain programs include clinical externships
Tuition includes all textbooks, workbooks and related course material.
How to Enroll
Visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College.
To learn about this program and to enroll visit Health Ed Today – Texarkana College or call 903.823.3384.